Learn from the expertsDiwali, Halloween and Bonfire Night can be anxious periods for our dogs. Loud bangs from firework displays, plus unfamiliar faces ‘Trick Or Treating’ at your door can elevate the levels of stress in our pooches. However, there are things we can do help them relax and feel safe -just follow the ‘HOWND Keep Calm Routine‘.
HOWND Keep Calm Routine
Follow these five steps to relieve stress and ease anxiety in your dog.
1. Plan Some Exercise
A great way to keep your dog happy and relaxed is by planning in regular sessions of exercise into your routine.
So around Diwali, Halloween and Bonfire Night ensure both you and your dog stay active during the day. Doing so will help relieve any stress your dog is feeling in their body, while increasing their tiredness (making it easier for them to go to sleep) in the evenings.
Good starting points include strolls around your local park, or perhaps a game of catch in a large open space. Most activities will suffice – just as long as it lasts for a minimum of 30 minutes and it’s something your dog enjoys,
At Least 30 Minutes of Physical Activity
2. Wash With Keep Calm HOWND Range
After exercise, it’s a perfect time to give your dog a relaxing bath in our lavender infused Keep Calm Conditioning Shampoo and have your dog ready for the evening. We recommend using Keep Calm Body Mist after washing to help dogs feel even more relaxed.
Both Cruelty Free certified products use a combination of lavender and patchouli essential oils helps relax adult dogs (and their owners!) and are perfect for pets that get anxious and stressed from fireworks and unfamiliar faces. Keep Calm Body Mist is particularly useful to keep with you during the day, as a couple of sprays can help calm your dog in various scenarios. Here are a few suggestions:
- Spray and gentle rub into your dog’s coat after washing.
- Spray onto your dog’s bed.
- Spray in the car and around the house.
Our shampoo and body mist also help repel insects thanks to a delicate blend of rosemary and cedarwood essential oils, which are also known for their antibacterial properties. Both have a pH-balanced formula containing wheat protein, oatmeal, argan oil and aloe vera leaf juice – making a dog’s skin feel nourished, while conditioning the fur to make it easy to brush.
3. Just Act Normal
Our dog’s can sense when we are concerned by their behaviour or welfare. So with the loud noises that Diwali, Halloween and Bonfire Night can bring, it’s vital that you don’t modify your behaviour when they appear distressed.
For example, during a nearby fireworks display, it’s important you talk to your four-legged friend in exactly the same way as you would normally. Doing this will reassure your dog that they are safe – which in turn can help them stay relaxed and happy.
If you do this consistently, your dog will become less anxious when they hear fireworks. So keep smiling – no matter how loud those fireworks are!
4. Distract With GamesSometimes – no matter how hard we try – our dogs will become anxious and stressed. In such circumstances, distraction can be a powerful tool to calm them down. For example, encouraging your dog to play with their favourite toy is a great way to take their mind off the external environment. Alternatively, offering your dog their favourite treat can be equally effective. Think of this step as another way of reassuring your dog that all is well.
5. Make A Safe HavenIf your dog becomes particularly stressed, it’s important to have safe haven ready for them to retreat to. This requires some forward preparation. A typical safe haven consists of familiar bed and toys, in a sheltered place in the peace and quiet. Should your dog need to retreat to its safe haven, you might want to attempt to calm them further by playing a game with them, or petting them. You could even apply a few more sprays of Keep Calm Body Mist to ease their anxiety.
Against animal crueltyAll of our products are free from harsh chemicals such as alcohol, parabens, soap and dyes. They are also safe to use with topical flea products too. HOWND products are Leaping Bunny certified by Cruelty Free International.
Find us here
Our range of dog grooming products are available at retailers across the globe.
HOWND products and initiatives have been noticed.
Power Pet Brands Ltd t/a HOWND
Churchill House, Stirling Way