HOWND’s Bonfire Night, Halloween and Diwali survival kit for anxious dogs and their owners
Autumn is a noisy time of year; loud and noisy bangs and crashes from fireworks and trick or treaters ringing the doorbell over and over can be unsettling and scary for our furry friends and keeping them calm can be stressful for their owners too.
Help is at hand as the team at HOWND, the best-selling ethical pet care brand has come up with some top tips to help your dog feel safe, relaxed and calm on Halloween, Guy Fawkes night and Diwali.
How can you tell if your dog is stressed by loud noises?
Some common signs your dog may be anxious includes:
• Not eating
• Finding a hiding place
HOWND’s tips for soothing worried and agitated dogs include:
• Go for a walk: Stay active during the day and make sure your dog is physically tired before the fireworks and doorbell ringing/knocking starts. Give them a brisk 30-minute walk at the end of the day to wear them out so by the time evening comes they are nice and tired.
• Soothe them with a bath: Give your dog a relaxing bath with HOWND’s natural lavender- and patchouli-infused Keep Calm Conditioning Shampoo, and follow with a spritz and a gentle rub of Keep Calm Body Mist. Spray it around the home and the dog’s bedding for the ultimate chilled out human and pooch experience. All HOWND pet care products are Cruelty Free International certified and endorsed by The Ethical Company Organisation, and PETA Cruelty Free, and they proudly carry the Vegetarian (Vegan) Society trademark on all its packaging.
• Act normal: Dogs, like humans, can pick up when you are stressed, so HOWND recommends not to modify your behaviour when your dog is anxious. Talk to them in exactly the same way as you would normally – keep smiling, give them lots of attention, and they will feel reassured.
• Treat them: HOWND’s plant-based Hemp Wellness Treats are 100% natural and packed with goodness. The Keep Calm flavour has added Camomile to help your best friend unwind. Camomile is also known to aid stress and anxiety and is an ideal treat during the noisy autumn season. They proudly carry the Vegetarian (Vegan) Society trademark on its packaging.
• Make a den: When stressed, dogs sometimes seek to hide in small spaces as it makes them feel safer than being exposed out in the open. A good way helping dogs feel more secure is by setting up a crate with a blanket which can also act as a way of blocking out the light. Dogs prefer low lighting when they are nervous so plenty of blankets to snuggle under will help them feel protected.
Halloween and Fireworks are not the only times when dogs can feel anxious. Thunderstorms, parties, trips to the vet, and travel can also be stressful experiences for our fur kids. HOWND’s Keep Calm Routine will work well at other times, too. Put a bottle of Keep Calm body mist in the car when for when your dog gets over-excited or anxious while you are out and about.
It also smells great so spraying it around the house and on the dog bed will make your home smell lovely and create a calming atmosphere.
The Keep Calm shampoo and body mist also help to naturally repel fleas and insects thanks to a delicate blend of rosemary and cedarwood essential oils. Both have a pH-balanced formula containing wheat protein, oatmeal, argan oil and aloe vera leaf juice – making a dog’s skin feel nourished, while conditioning the fur to make it easy to brush.
Keep Calm Hemp Wellness Treats £4.50
Keep Calm Body Mist £9
Keep Calm Conditioning Shampoo £9
Key dates for your calendar:
• Diwali – 4 November
• Guy Fawkes Night – 5 November
• New Year’s Eve – 31 December
• Chinese New Year – 1 February
THE HOWND PROMISE
HOWND creates products that help keep dogs happy and healthy for life, while encouraging others to live a planet-kind, cruelty-free lifestyle. We believe the world would be a better place if more people embraced the power of plants.
Our products are kind to our precious planet and the animals that inhabit it. That’s why dogs and their humans love HOWND.
We are convinced that dogs can thrive without compromising the welfare of other animals. Since day one, HOWND pet care has been certified by Cruelty-Free International and is accredited by The Vegetarian (Vegan) Society, PETA Cruelty-Free and The Ethical Company Organisation.